I can't speak for everyone, but I know that once pumpkin season has started for me, it doesn't stop until after the holidays (and even then... :).
You could say I'm a fan of the orange stuff. Mostly, I love the ease it can be worked into everything. Pumpkin adds a certain heartiness to everything it touches, emblematic of the season that accompanies it. It makes me feel cozy. Is that weird?
Also, pumpkin really packs in the vitamin A (the orange glow gives it away) which, among a myriad of other things, helps keep our eyes nice and sharp and gives our skin a lovely glow. (President Trump's secret? lol)
Have I sold you on pumpkin yet? Beyond the pumpkin spice latte, I love pumpkin in pancakes, oatmeal, bread, and chili. Basically...everything! This year I decided to experiment with it in overnight oats and the result was miiiggghhhtttyyy tasty!
This hearty breakfast includes a little bit of everything: you get the fiber from the whole grain oats + chia seeds, protein from the nuts + greek yogurt, a mini-serving of veg from our good friend Mr. Pumpkin, and a hint of banana for sweetness! This keeps me feeling full and nourished all morning - give it a shot!
Pumpkin Pie Overnight Oats + Toasted Nuts
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- dashes of pumpkin spice + cinnamon
- dash of salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk (or milk of choice)
- 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 banana, mashed
- sweetener of choice, to taste (I used 1/2 packet of french vanilla stevia)
- 1/4 cup toasted mixed nuts (see toasting instructions below)
- Combine and mix the oats, chia seeds, spices, and salt in a small bowl.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients and stir until thoroughly combined.
- Pour mixture into a mason jar or bowl, cover with saran wrap, and refrigerate overnight or at least for 4 hours.
- In the morning, top or layer with 1/4 cup toasted nuts or any other toppings you may desire!
How to Toast Nuts:
- Take any amount of nuts you have and spread them into a single layer on a pan over medium heat (I used my cast iron skillet but any will do).
- Toast until the nuts become fragrant, then stir around and toast again. The goal is to make sure ALL sides of the nuts get toasted but not burnt!
- After toasted, remove from heat and spread nuts onto a paper towel to cool down.
What's your favorite pumpkin recipe? Share in the comments below!